Friday, March 29, 2019

David Earl Lewis






Molly and Me was my 1st album.  It was in all the major record stores next to Led Zeppelin. When I came to Cal. I was staying with the Mills family. Billy Mills worked at Cadet Records at Normandie and Slauson.

BB King & Little Richard both recorded there. Bill took me with him to the studio and introduced me to a producer, Kieth Gravenhurst. Bill had played him some home recordings of songs I had written.

Kieth asked me if I would mind singing one of his songs and I said yes. The title of the song was Day Dreamer, Waddy Wachtel played guitar and keys, and I sang. Meanwhile, I was looking in the yellow pages under recording studios. I asked Mrs. Mills where Reseda St. was.

She said it's only 3 or 4 blocks. So I went down there. The studio name was Fat Chance. I knocked on the door and it opened. There was a room full of people. I asked them if I could play them some songs I had written and they said yes go for it.

So I sang 3 songs, and they liked them. The owner said he would like to record them, but Chicago and the Eagles were booked solid for a while. I told him I had no place to stay and would have to go back to Texas. He said I have a room in the back you can stay here and do session work.

One day I was cleaning up after a Flying Burrito Bros. session. and Charlie Blocker, the engineer for the Eagles said, you need to go down to the Sunset Strip in Hollywood and look for a gig if you are going to be a musician. So I thumbed down there with my acoustic guitar.

The 1st club I saw was Gazzari's. I Didn't have enough money to get in so I just hung around the door and listened The band sounded great and was playing the same kind of music I had played. So they came outside and saw me with my guitar.

I played them some songs and they liked them. So I joined the band Train. They recorded 3 songs with me at Fat Chance. I had a single released, recorded at gold star studios in Hollywood, was my 1st record before all of this. Studio musicians were used.

Hollywood Reporter "Edge Inks Lewis. So I was recording at different studios all over LA. All of these recordings became David Lewis, Molly and Me. Over the years I played under the name of David Lewis, or David Earl Lewis, at the Troubadour, Whiskey, Roxy, Starwood, and extensively SFV.

My last gig out there was 2 years ago at the Malibu pier as a guest of the Dave Mason Band.

I hope this is all relevant. I played with 3 bands in Texas before all of this' but they were too famous. Cat Fish and the Small Fries, The 69th St. Sewage Dept., and Phantaz Magoria.




No comments:

Post a Comment

SDCOGTV

Watch videos at Vodpod and tech videos and more of my videos

Followers

Blog Archive